Why invest in your employees?
Investing in upskilling your employees can have long-term benefits for the development of your organisations.
Providing new skills training for your staff often brings immediate results, including better staff morale and retention, higher productivity, less supervision, increased customer satisfaction and improved capacity to adopt new technologies and methods organisation-wide.
In addition, a highly skilled workforce will make your business more adaptive in our modernising economy. With old industries transitioning into new, ensuring your employees are the best they can be means being better placed to be part of industries that will be key to South Australia’s economy in decades to come.
Because of this, the South Australian Government is committed to meeting the State’s future skilled, capable and work-ready workforce needs.
Advantages to your business from an upskilled workforce include:
- You choose what new skills your workforce gains, targeting skills to meet the needs of your operation both now and in the future
- Training your staff can result in better customer service, work safety practices and productivity
- You demonstrate to your workforce that you value them and their job security enough to invest in them, improving loyalty and staff retention which, in turn, becomes a saving to you.
Training also has many benefits for your staff, including:
- They are able to acquire new skills, increasing their contribution to the business and building their self-belief
- The training they do can take them into other positions within your organisation, potentially with better prospects and/or better pay
- They’re upskilled to do new and different tasks, which keeps them motivated and fresh
- Because they’re being trained on your time, they see that you value their improvement and the contribution they can make to the business enough to invest in them.
If you’d like to know more about planning your workforce, training your staff, funding for training, looking for staff, Aboriginal workforce programs and support, and apprentices or trainees, find information online here.